Tina's Crochet Page- This is a blog where I keep all my patterns

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Hexagon Baby Sweater

First off, I have to say: This isn't my pattern. I saw one on someone's blog, then saw it on Crochetville, who saw a video on You Tube that a lady made in Portugese. You can see the video here, if you want.... Well, that will take you to the Crochetville post which has a link to the video... Anyway~ Now that I have that out of the way. :P This isn't really a row by row pattern. You are basically making two hexagons and sewing them together for the back and sleeves... Here's one hexagon. See how it is all ruffly? It's supposed to look like that. :P
It will fold up into this:
You will make two of them and sew the back seam. Now, on to the details:
I used an F hook and baby yarn. Patons Astra for the green strip and a ball with no band for the yellow. The yellow was a slightly lighter weight than the green. Note: To make a newborn size, I used an F or a D hook, and fingering weight yarn. It is a small newborn size, though. So you may want to use an F. (I really can't remember which size hook I used, sorry.... but I will be making another one in newborn, soon. So I'll let you know.) :)

"Hexagon" (Make Two):

Ch 6, join to make a ring.
Round 1: Ch 3. 2 dc in ring. *Ch 2, 3 dc in ring. Rep from * 4 more times. Ch 2. Join w/ sl st to 3rd ch of beg ch3. (6 groups of 3 dcs.)
Rnd 2: Sl st to ch 2 space. Ch 3, 2 dc in same space. Ch 2, 3 dc in same space. *Ch 2, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch 2 space. Rep from * 4 more times. Ch 2, join w/ sl st to 3rd ch of beg ch 3. (6 shells, 12 ch 2 spaces)
Rnd 3: Sl st to ch 2 space. Ch 3, 2 dc in same space. Ch 2, 3 dc in same space.*Ch 2, 3 dc in next ch 2 space. Ch 2, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next 'shell', or corner space. Rep from * 4 more times. Ch 2, join w/ sl st to 3rd ch of beg ch 3.Rnd 4: Sl st to ch 2 space. Ch 3, 2 dc in same space. Ch 2, 3 dc in same space. *Ch 2, 3 dc in next ch 2 space. Ch 2 (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next corner space. Rep from * 4 more times. Ch 2, join w/ sl st to 3rd ch.
Repeat round 4, changing colors if you want a stripe. For this sweater, I switched to green in rounds 5-6, then back to yellow. When you have 9 groups of 3 dc groups in between the corners, fasten off.
This is what I have so far. I will post more when I get more done. This should get you started though for tonight. :)
This is how it looked like she joined the back:
Either sl st to corner, or if you have already fastened off, join yarn in corner. Ch 3. 2 dc in same space. Ch 1, holding second hexagon with wrong sides facing, sc in corner space of second hexagon. Ch 1, 3 dc in same space of first hexagon. *Ch 1. Sc in next ch 2 space of second hexagon. Ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 2 space of first hexagon. Repeat from * across. When you get to the last corner space, just do 3 dc in first hexagon, ch 1, sc in second hexagon. Fasten off.
That's how it looked like she did it. I might just try sewing it up next time. For the shoulders, go in three 'blocks', to the ch 2 space. Join w/ a piece of yarn. More tomorrow....
Okay, for the sleeves, this is what she did: (Join like I just stated). Now, at sleeve edge, join w/ a sl st. *Ch 3, Sc in ch 2 space. Repeat from * to space marked, ending w/ a sc in space marked. Fasten off. Do the same for the second sleeve. (For the second sleeve, I joined in the space marked- by the neck edge, and worked to the sleeve edge so it was all on the right side.) I will come back and add more and redo all my pictures to match everything when I am done. Stay tuned.... :)
Collar: Join w/ a sl st in corner space of left side. Ch 3. *Dc in each dc, 2 dc in ch 2 space. Repeat from * around whole neck edge. In last corner space, do 1 dc. Turn work.
Row 2: Ch 3, dc in same space as ch 3 (increase). Dc in each dc acros to last dc (beg ch 3 of previous row), 2 dc in top ch of beg ch 3. Turn work.
Row 3-5: Repeat row 2. Fasten off @ end of row 5.
Sleeve: With sleeve laying flat, find halfway point from ending off point. (You will be starting at the bottom of the sleeve, in the middle of row, so to speak... hope that makes sense...)
Join w/ sl st in 3rd dc of a 3 dc group to left of 'halfway point'.
Round 1: Ch 3. *Dc in ch 2 space. Dc in 2st dc of 3 dc group, skip 2nd dc, dc in 3rd dc, rep from * around, working a dc in each ch 2 space by joinging seam. To end, dc in 1st dc of last 3 dc group. Skip last 2 dc, join w/ sl st to top of beg ch 3.
*Note for round 2 (You will be doing fpdc and bpdc around stitches round 1, hopefully you know how to do this but I will *try* to explain it a little.... don't know if it will be much help, but...)
Round 2: Putting hook in back of 1 st dc of round 1, make a sl st around dc, ch 3. Now put hook around back of next dc, make a dc around this stitch. *Fpdc around next st, bpdc around next st, rep from * around. Join w/ sl st to beg ch 3.
Round 3: Going around 1st dc of prev round, sl st. Ch 2. Fpdc around fpdc's, bpdc around bpdc's. Join.
Round 4: Ch 1, sc in 1st st. Sc next two together, sc in next stich; ending w/ sc in last 2 sts. Join and fasten off. (I added this round to kind of bring the sleeve edge in more. It seemed too loose to me.) Repeat for second sleeve.
Bottom edge: With bottom of sweater facing you, join w/ a sl st to left handed corner space (left side of sweater front). Ch 5. *3 dc in ch 2 space, ch 2. Repeat from *; when you get to the back seam, do 3 dc's over the back two spaces. Repeat as you were, ending w/ ch 2, dc in corner space. Turn work.
Row 2: Ch 3. 2 dc in same space. *Ch 2, 3 dc in next ch 2 space. Repeat from *, ending w/ 2 dc in last space, and dc in 3rd ch of beg ch 5.
Now she made a tie (chains) around the neck and wove it through the last row of granny type stitches. She also did a Solomon's Knot type edging all around bottom edge and sides of front edges of sweater. I think I am going to do a simple sc edging, and make a loop at top neck edge to button the top part. I would be nervous about the baby choking with a tie thingy/ and if the mother let the baby sleep with the sweater on..... Maybe I'm just paranoid, but.... That's how I am doing mine. :)

Here's a picture of it almost done. You can see a picture of the finished sweater on my regular blog. (I have redone this thing forty times, I don't feel like redoing it again.... :P)

19 Comments:

  • thats a cool pattern

    By Blogger EC, at 6:17 AM  

  • Have passed on the magic lamp to u..check out easycrafts.blogspot.com

    By Blogger EC, at 6:21 PM  

  • Looks great.. only one question. Where is your regular blog? LOL

    By Blogger Lisa, at 12:05 PM  

  • I found this link through free patterns through Bev's Country Cottage. On her site it says it is for a baby 3-6 months...will it work to make a bigger sweater by just doing more rounds in the hexagon? It seems to me that would work....

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:28 AM  

  • I love this pattern. I just made my first one, however, I didn't follow pattern correctly when it came to the collar, but I redeemed myself by adding a fake collar. do you have a pattern for making it for toddler to 6 years old?

    By Blogger crochet brat, at 10:37 AM  

  • I don't get over here very much. LOL

    Lisa, my "regular" blog is: timelesscreations.blogspot.com

    Susan, I have been trying to make it bigger. It didn't really *work* for me, though. If anyone has any success with it I would love to hear about it! :)

    theonlysensibleonehere, I do not have any other sizes. I have only messed around the one time trying to make a bigger one, though. I would just try using worsted weight over a heavier weight than the baby weight, and a bigger hook. ?

    By Blogger Tina, at 7:05 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Patrice, at 1:56 PM  

  • Thanks so much for taking the time to create English instructions for this sweater! I'm going to try my hand at making one. The videos are also helpful even if they are in Portuguese (I know some French so I could figure out the counting too :-)).

    By Blogger Patrice, at 1:59 PM  

  • Hi Tina, I just went through the 4 Portuguese videos for the hexagon baby sweater (it seems like a thousand times). I kept getting stuck on the row of 3 dc, ch1, sc, ch1 that forms the center back row or seam. I wasn't ending the row the way she was, until it finally dawned on me that the hexagon facing her (the one that she does the 3 dcs in) has one less round than the other one.

    After she finishes the center back row, she keeps going around one of the hexagons. I couldn't figure out why she was doing that extra round until it dawned on me that it must have one less round. With one less round, the back center row works, so you just finish the round on the hex with one less round.

    Hope that made sense.

    By Blogger Patrice, at 4:30 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Patrice, at 4:35 PM  

  • I managed to make a larger size so to speak.. with worsted weight yarn and an I hook. But Im a fairly tight crocheter so most people may end up using a smaller size.. Im not sure how big it is but it should fit up to the average 4 or 5 year old as it is a bit large on my "My Size Barbie". Theres pics on my blog. http://hideyourhook.blogspot.com/

    Im currently working on a second one in tester to see if an Adult size can be feasibly made.

    By Blogger Mary/May, at 1:06 PM  

  • Looks good, MaryMay. Looking forward to seeing the adult size.

    By Blogger Patrice, at 5:54 PM  

  • I made one in an adult size small, or child's size large for a girl. You can see the pic here. Came out really well, used a size J crochet hook and Joanne's Rainbow Sensations yarn.

    By Blogger Runtimerror, at 8:52 PM  

  • Kim, the sweater is lovely. How much yarn did you use for the adult size - small and how many rounds are the hexagons for the adult size? Or did you just use a larger hook and heavier yarn? I'd like to give it a try, too.

    By Blogger Patrice, at 10:44 PM  

  • Please help me... How can i Alter this pattern for a super chunky yarn...weight of 6 and using a N hook?? Please please advice....
    I want to make it for my newborn.... due in march :D Hope u will guide me
    Thanks in advance....
    U can mail me at gems7882@gmail.com too... Please :)

    By Blogger Shubha Ravikoti, at 1:25 PM  

  • Please help me... How can i Alter this pattern for a super chunky yarn...weight of 6 and using a N hook?? Please please advice....
    I want to make it for my newborn.... due in march :D Hope u will guide me
    Thanks in advance....
    U can mail me at gems7882@gmail.com too... Please :)

    By Blogger Shubha Ravikoti, at 1:39 PM  

  • Wouldn't a super chunky yarn crocheted with an N hook make the sweater too big for a newborn?? All I can think to do is reduce the number of rounds in the hexagons since the thick yarn is going to make larger stitches.

    By Blogger Patrice, at 1:58 PM  

  • I'm looking for the hat pattern that matches this set.

    By Blogger CandyJo207, at 11:22 AM  

  • I need the pattern for the hat to this set. Please let me know at elustra207@yahoo.com

    By Blogger CandyJo207, at 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home